Raphael Melo de Oliveira Bastos Sales wrote:
I have one machine (Machine 1) that I need backup its files
periodically. I also have another machine (Machine 2) that will hold
the backup. Machine 2 can "see" (make requests to) Machine 1, but the
opposite isn't true. The network is covered by a firewall, so I don
need a paranoid solution. I was thinking about doing the following:
<snip></snip>

Why not just do:
rsync -zave ssh LiveBoxFolder [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/backup/LiveBox

To avoid problems with ssh prompting for passwords, you copy the public key of the LiveBox account running the rsync (probably root) to the "user" home directory
#cat root.publickey >> /home/user/.ssh/authorized_keys2

The benefit of rsync is that it only copies changes (so you can run backups more often), it is easy to get to the backed up files, you don't lose big chunks of data if your tarball gets a bad sector etc etc

There is also a technique where rsync will give you daily incrementals with very little storage space loss (google for it).

regards
--
Charles Oertel
FineBushPeople.net

-=-=-
... A self-addressed envelope would be addressed 'envelope'.
-=-=-