Fromt he screen man page: "You can still send these characters to the current program, but you must use the appropriate two-character screen commands (typically "C-a q" (xon) and "C-a s" (xoff)). The xon/xoff commands are also useful for typing C-s and C-q past a terminal that intercepts these characters.

"man screen" then search for "C-s" to get the scoop. ;)