Hello!  My Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop is reported to have a working
winmodem with Slackware here:

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html ->
http://www.angelfire.com/linux/t_johnson/

According to the article, the modem's driver can be built into the kernel via:

Sound ->
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ->
PCI Devices ->
Intel/SiS/nVidia/AMD MC97 Modem (EXPERIMENTAL)

I have ppp_generic and ppp_async built as modules and autoloaded.  I
have slmodem emerged, but is that necessary with the kernel driver?  I
have net-dialup/ppp-2.4.2-r10 emerged like this:

-activefilter
-atm
-dhcp
-ipv6
-mppe-mppc
+pam

When I try to '/etc/init.d/net.ppp0 start' I get:

* Bringing ppp0 up ...
SIOCDELRT: No such process [ ok ]

but I don't hear any dialing and subsequent ping attempts just say
"unknown host".  Also, a subsequent '/etc/init.d/net.ppp0 stop' says:

* Bringing ppp0 down ...
* Interface seems to be down already [ ok ]

I can get rid of the 'SIOCDELRT: No such process' error if I change to:

DEFROUTE="no"

in '/etc/conf.d/net.ppp0'.  That option is defined as "Must pppd set
the default route?".

Lastly, I need to use a special script that my ISP (GlobalDialUp.com)
provides.  How can I incorporate that?

If I can get this working my troubles will be over!

- Grant