On 7/7/05, Christian Heim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>  > QUESTIONS:
> >
> > 1) Can I assume that whatever happened with the "Hunk #x succeeded"
> > that everything is OK? Maybe this was just a line number issue?
> Yeah .. or and indent change or something similar.
>

> > 2) What can I do about the "Hunk #x FAILED" messages?
> Well to get that patch working, you *need* to take a look at the *.rej
> files
> which are created by patch -p1 < realtime-prempt.patch.
>
> Most times this is only due to missing context. That means the line just
> before
> the one which should be added, is not there or another one is just in
> the way.
> So `patch` is unable to find the matching context.
> >
> > No output files were created since it was only a dry run. I can run
> > again, get output files, and then look into it but I thought I'd ask
> > how folks go about this sort of thing before I pulled the trigger.
>
> Regards Christian

Hi Christian,
   Thanks for the response. There were just two problems, as best I
can tell. One was in the upper level makefile which the second was in
a more tecnical piece of code. I'm providing the output here more for
conversation and not really asking for technical help on changing
code. This is just for my learning.

   In the first one it appears that Gentoo does an extra version so I
can probably fake my way around this but changing the patch file
itself to expect the Gentoo kernel I want to patch. Is that a
reasonable strategy?

   In the second, since it's apparently just a difference in brakets
I'm more curious about why gentoo-sources would differ from what Ingo
was apparently expectinb in the kernel config file, but again it seems
pretty minor. Would you agree?

Thanks,
Mark

Makefile.rej:
***************
*** 1,7 ****
  VERSION = 2
  PATCHLEVEL = 6
  SUBLEVEL = 12
- EXTRAVERSION =
  NAME=Woozy Numbat

  # *DOCUMENTATION*
--- 1,7 ----
  VERSION = 2
  PATCHLEVEL = 6
  SUBLEVEL = 12
+ EXTRAVERSION = -RT-V0.7.51-11
  NAME=Woozy Numbat

  # *DOCUMENTATION*

drivers/video/console/fbcon.c.rej:

***************
*** 1092,1101 ****
        struct display *p = &fb_display[vc->vc_num];
        struct fbcon_ops *ops = info->fbcon_par;

-       if (!fbcon_is_inactive(vc, info))
                ops->putcs(vc, info, s, count, real_y(p, ypos), xpos,
                           get_color(vc, info, scr_readw(s), 1),
                           get_color(vc, info, scr_readw(s), 0));
  }

  static void fbcon_putc(struct vc_data *vc, int c, int ypos, int xpos)
--- 1091,1101 ----
        struct display *p = &fb_display[vc->vc_num];
        struct fbcon_ops *ops = info->fbcon_par;

+       if (!fbcon_is_inactive(vc, info)) {
                ops->putcs(vc, info, s, count, real_y(p, ypos), xpos,
                           get_color(vc, info, scr_readw(s), 1),
                           get_color(vc, info, scr_readw(s), 0));
+       }
  }

  static void fbcon_putc(struct vc_data *vc, int c, int ypos, int xpos)