Dave Nebinger <dnebinger <at> joat.com> writes:

> > I recently set up an internal server for rsync and distfile distribution.
> > How do I check to ensure that this internal server actually was successful
> > at downloading the rsync files and the appropriate distfiles for the other
> > sytems?
>
> /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp contains the timestamp for when the sync was
> completed.

Ahhh that's it:
# cat /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp
Tue Jul 12 13:06:52 UTC 2005
 # date
Wed Jul 13 12:05:26 UTC 2005

The clock (hw and OS) were off, by about25 minutes but that has
been correct now. /etc/crontab was set for 1:30
30 1 * * * root emerge sync

> > PROBLEM?
> > I manually ran 'emerge -uDp world' today on both a client and the
> > sever. The client updated a few files, the server returned nothing to
> > update.
> > I kept another p4 system using rsync and downloading the distfiles
> > separate.
>
> Since the server is the local rsync mirror it must do it's emerge --sync
> first.  After it has completed (note: not during the run), the client(s) can
> emerge --sync.
>
> > emerge -uDp world shows this file (among others) on the P4 system using
> > the old external update method:
> > [ebuild  NS   ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r5
> >
> > The new internal-AMD rsync/distfile server, issueing
> > 'emerge -s gentoo-sources' shows:
> >       sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
> >       Latest version available: 2.6.12-r4
> >       Latest version installed: 2.6.12-r4
> >
> > Is this evidence that the nightly updates, are not working on the
> > internal server?
>
> No, it is merely an indication that at some point between the server's sync
> and the older sync that -r5 of gentoo sources was released.  My systems, as
> of last night around midnight thought only -r4 was available.  Just now I
> ran emerge --sync on the server and it now sees that -r5 is available.
>
> It's strictly a timing issue.

Well now I'm starting to 'get it'. Before when I ran rsync manually,
it did not update (rsync was launched last night (EST), so
I got some error message about not  being available or something
like that. Now I just ran 'emerge syncc' maually on the  server
machine and it did update the rsync files (portage cache).
On the internal server
emerge -uDp world now does not reveal any new files to update...

> > Is there a simple test to determine if the updates are working
> > on the rsync and distfiles?
>
> Sure.  New packages are released every day.  I can't remember a single day
> in the last month where emerge -uDp reported no packages to update.
>
> So if you run a few days and constantly see emerge -uDp reporting no
> packages, there's probably a sync problem.

Well 2 things.

I'm going to implement your scripts now. And I shall have patiences
for a few days to see how the updates proceed on the internal server
and the clients using the internal server. Checking against the
internal clients still using remote servers for rsync and distfile
updates....

Thanks,

James