Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Thursday 15 April 2010 02:58:15 Matt Harrison wrote:
I apologise if this has come twice, it didn't appear to post correctly
first time, not even on the archives.

Its been happening for a while but I haven't got round to find out why, but
every so often (anything between a week or an hour) vixie-cron just stops.
There's nothing in the logs, the service just stops.

I have no idea where to start looking for a culprit so I'm hoping someone
here has some good ideas :)

thanks in advance

Matt
You probably don't want to hear this, but:

vixie-cron is problematic in the extreme. I have endless hassle with it's
weird behaviours.

Use a different cron daemon.

I am using vixie as well. It was in the install guide many years ago. What all would have to be changed to switch to fcron? I think some packages "detect" which cron you have installed and put things in the proper place for cron jobs to run. I could be wrong on that since it has been a while since I noticed packages doing this.

Dale

:-)   :-)