James wrote:
I've got a very weird problem. When I go to build either a 2.6.12-gentoo-r4
or 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 kernel on a paticular AMD athlon, I cannot change
the I2C selection:
device driver -> I2C support option. It is a dash. Manually deleting the .config file does not help. I use 'make oldconfig on this machine' but I not certain
that is what locked  out this option.

One of the other options you have selected depends on I2C so you are not able to deselect it.

I have an identical MB with a different video card, that does
not have this problem with the 2.4.12-gentoo-r4 kernel.

But you are using a different kernel configuration.

I even tried to manually edit the .config file in /usr/src/linux
to correct the errant line to look like this:
'CONFIG_I2C_SENSOR=y'
but it always remains incorrect:
# Hardware Sensors Chip support
#
# CONFIG_I2C_SENSOR is not set

I2C_SENSOR is a completely different option from the one that is locked on.

I2C_SENSOR is a hidden option which appears to get turned on when you enable at least 1 specific sensor driver.

The option that you have locked on is CONFIG_I2C.

Daniel