David Corbin wrote:
> > $ grep kde /var/lib/portage/world | sort
>
> When I get that, all I get is:
> kde-base/kde

Okay, no problem, you have a full KDE install, not a series of split
ebuilds.

> Ah!  I see what's happened to me (at least in part).  When I run
> the control center, it prompts me for the root password,

That is strange, starting the Control Center shouldn't ask for the
root password.  Only under System Administration most sections have
an Administrator Mode button, needed when one wants to change
anything there.  Then it asks for the root password.  All the rest
should be changeable as your normal user.

Do you still have your ~/.kde3.3 dir lying around?  If so, you may
want to tar it up somewhere safe, then delete the dir, and restart
KDE, just to be sure.  That probably won't help anything, so then
log out of KDE, move ~/.kde3.4 to a different name for the moment,
clean all KDE stuff out of /tmp, and then relogin to KDE.  If that
brings things back to normal, you may try diffing the old and
new .kde3.4 dirs.  If it doesn't help, restore your original .kde3.4
dir to get all your settings back.

Benno