Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I did some googling.  Seriously grasping at straws here.  Do you have
> SMP enabled?  If so, do you really have a multiprocessor or multicore
> machine?  I ask beause I did find where someone else had SMP enabled and
> it shouldn't have been.   I noticed it shows it is enabled in the config
> you posted earlier.  Also, make sure you have the correct CPU selected
> too.  I think you do tho from what I saw in the config.  Also make sure
> you have the correct partitions in fstab too.  I know I'm bad to mix
> those up sometimes or just leave out a "/" mark.
>
> Another thought, are you sure that the drive partitions are sda and not
> hda?  I still use the old drivers and mine are hda but some are using
> the new drivers which are sda.  Just wanting to make certain.   Grasping
> at one more straw.
>
> I'll do some more thinking and put a little more wear and tear on google.
>
> Dale

Thanks again for your suggestion! I tried to switch off SMP and recompiled the
kernel, but the problem persists. I'm sure I'm using the newer driver so I
think
the partitions should be called sda.

On the other hand, if I can ever succeed in eliminating the irq problem with
genkernel, I would be very happy too! It's really frustrating sometimes...

Roc