Am 24.06.2010 00:13, schrieb Mark Knecht:

>> I don't know if the builtin graphics will allow gaming on the same
>> level, I should go for some benchmark results. But this is
>> definitely not important ... just a nice to have feature maybe.
>
> Depending on the MB you choose - I'm using an Intel DH55HC - you
> might not even get access to the built-in graphics chip. It requires
> certain chipsets and then certain connection on the MB and not all
> Core i5 MB's that accept the i5-661 have it. I'm sure you know that
> already but maybe the info is helpful for others later.

I knew part of it ;-)

I preferred Intel boards for years now and wasn't disappointed.

Maybe this time I chose a Lenovo machine with 3 yrs support ...?

M90p they call it, I don't know ....

> The DH55HC has been a pretty good MB over the last 4-5 months that
> I've been running the machine and the graphics are OK. They were not
> so good 5 months ago but the driver has gotten noticeably better.

Windows driver, I assume?

>> So you run "make -j13" or something?
>
> Exactly. -j13. However there are things to learn about machine
> configuration at this level. The disk systems start operating
> differently when you have a lot of memory. I'm running 24GB of DRAM
> on that machine and this effects the way the kernel looks at write
> back to disk and what not. No problems, just new things to learn.

interesting.

How do you use up 24 gigs of DRAM?
Just tell me, I would like to justify that for me as well ;-)

> I've wanted to check out compiz but haven't had the time to learn.
> One down side to running Gentoo is that you cannot do much of
> anything like that without considerable study before hand...

Sure ... compiz is part eyecandy, part useful little features. I got
used to the features (=would somehow miss them) and the eyecandy (= "ah,
yes, it rotates ... hmm, sure ...").

:-)

> For the price it's been a good purchase I think. I've run Windows XP
> and Win 7 in vmware and the speed is pretty close to identical on
> the apps I use. (Mostly TradeStation) I won't do live stock trading
> in Win 7 under Gentoo yet but maybe one of these days. It's been very
> stable but for safety most of the time when I'm trading I just run
> Win 7 native.

dualboot then. Haven't booted Windows for months here. Should maybe do
and do some gaming instead of hacking around ...

;-)

Thanks, greets, Stefan