1) Text sucks on webpages, and other GUI apps.  For a sample, see...
http://clients.teksavvy.com/~walterdnes/misc/webtext.png where I snipped
2 sentences from the CNN webpage.  How can I fix it?

2) Back in 2000, one of the things that drove me to linux was the
availability of true console text mode, and also true console text mode
apps.  Up till now, I've used text mode when possible, because it's a
lot easier on my eyes.  I'm realistic about using X for web browsing and
spreadsheets, and other GUI-oriented stuff.  But email and text files
should be textmode, dammit.

  However, my new machine's Intel integrated graphics chip doesn't agree.
X will *NOT* work unless I enable i915 DRM driver in make menuconfig,
like so...

<*>   Intel 830M, 845G, 852GM, 855GM, 865G (i915 driver)  --->

  This results in framebuffer being *FORCED* on.

<*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support
-*- Lowlevel video output switch controls
-*- Support for frame buffer devices  --->

  Let's just say that framebuffer video on a 1920x1200 24" LCD "sucketh
to the max".  I get 74 rows by some ridiculous number of columns of
miniscule, virtually unreadable font.  This is with the default VGA
boot, not with VGA=6.  Is there any way I can get rid of framebuffer
mode, while retaining X functionality?  Why the bleep does X Windows
require framebuffer, anyways?  The "lspci -vv" output for my video card
is listed below...

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Clarkdale
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7636
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 31
        Region 0: Memory at fb800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Region 2: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Region 4: I/O ports at cc00 [size=8]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
                Address: fee0f00c  Data: 4199
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
                AFCap: TP+ FLR+
                AFCtrl: FLR-
                AFStatus: TP-
        Kernel driver in use: i915