On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 08:26:25AM -0400, Willie Wong wrote

> Also, have you tried just using larger fonts on the console? If you
> emerge sys-apps/kbd, there should be some fonts in
> /usr/share/consolefonts. You can use "setfont <name>" to test which
> one you want to use (some of them are bigger fonts). You may also want
> to try media-fonts/terminus-font (what I use), it claims to have a
> 16x32 variant which is twice as large as the default console fonts.

  Thanks for the idea.  I'm now using sun12x22.  It gives me 160 columns
by 54 rows.  It's perfectly readable, although the right half of the
text console screen is blank most of the time.  Oh well, I'll probably
be using "vsplit" in vim a lot more now.

> After finding a font you like you can set it in
> /etc/conf.d/consolefont to automatically load at boot time.

  I used to do that with vga=6 in /etc/lilo.conf and lat1-10 in
/etc/conf.d/consolefont which combined to give me a nice crisp 48 row
display.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>