On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 04:40:06AM -0500, Dale wrote
> Grant Edwards wrote:
> >
> > As long as ctrl-alt-F1 works, that's cool.  It hasn't happened to me
> > for a while, but it didn't used to be at all difficult to get X broken
> > enough that ctrl-alt-F1 wouldn't work.
>
> In that off chance, use the SysRq keys to get it back.  If that doesn't
> work, you got to reboot anyway.

  On a somewhat lower level than the keyboard, I enable the power button
acpi event in my kernel (yes, it works for a desktop PC too).  Then in
/etc/acpi/events/default I have...

action=chvt 1

  Tapping the power button kicks me to tty1.  You have to hold down the
button for a few seconds to do a panic halt.  Note; when testing this
setup, it is strongly recommended to sync first before tapping the power
button<G>.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>