I have noticed in the last couple days that rolling the wheel on my mouse is not scrolling through webpages or email. I checked my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it had not been changed. Just to be sure it is not a broken mouse I booted into Mandrake and tested it there, mouse scrolled like a charm. After I booted back to Gentoo, the mouse was still not working. I decided to steal the setting from Mandrake's XF86Config, since it was working there.
I changed my /etc/X11/xorg.conf from:
   Identifier    "Mouse1"
   Driver    "mouse"
   Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
   Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mouse0"
   Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
to:
   Identifier    "Mouse1"
   Driver    "mouse"
   Option "Protocol"    "ExplorerPS/2"
   Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mouse0"
   Option    "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
After I made that change I rebooted. When I checked my /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it was still showing the original settings i.e. PS/2 not the ExplorerPS/2. After some digging around noticed the line (==) Using config file: "//xorg.conf". Sure enough I had backed up my xorg.conf to the / folder a couple months ago and sure enought it was using that copy. After I changed that file name, I rebooted and the correct information is now showing in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

I was under the impression that the folder /etc/X11is the folder only scanned and used. That is why I put the backup copy there. My question is: is this behavior a know thing and I missed it, or can others be bitten by this also?

P.S. the mouse is still not scrolling.  Any help with this would be great.
Thanks