On 08/12/2010 07:24 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
[...]
In X the UI responsiveness randomly goes bad, keyboard especially. At
first it'll be fine, then simply using Konsole and typing will begin
to slow down. Also, screen output in general seems to freeze until I
touch the mouse or keyboard. Even something like listing a directory.
It's really weird... It gets so bad that it becomes completely
unresponsive, freezing for minutes at a tie. It eventually un-freezes
momentarily, long enough to logout and back in at least. I disabled
desktop effects but it still had the same problem. I tried Gnome
briefly last night before going to sleep and didn't experience this
slowdown problem.

Anyone else had those same problems or know what I might try? I'm
using nvidia-drivers and tried 3 different versions with no success. I
have not yet tried downgrading my kernel or KDE installation, but
that's next on the list of things to try tonight.

I suppose you're running a complete ~arch system, not just some packages?

Also, I had a somewhat similar problem with GUI slowness. It was a matter of disabling the "Use VSync" checkbox in System Settings->Desktop Effects->Advanced tab and enabling the "Disable functionality checks" box in the same tab. Note that the desktop and all apps will keep being tear-free and VSynced even if making those changes in System Settings.

Furthermore, I've set:

  CheckIsSafe=false

in my ~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc

After all that, KDE 4.5.0 runs perfectly for me using gentoo-sources-2.6.35-r1, xorg-server-1.8.99.905, and the following live (9999) packages:

media-libs/mesa
x11-proto/glproto
x11-proto/dri2proto
x11-libs/libdrm