> Emerge did this, when confcache was installed and FEATURES=confcache was
> set. But I guess this only works well with once cache file per package,
> not with a global cache that is being used during all emerges.
> The configure script tests for lots of features, each test has a name. But
> there is no global naming scheme, so tests for different features can have
> the same name in different packages. I think this is why it did not work
> so well.

Yes, that is probably a bad idea to use the same cache file for all
packages, if they use different naming schemes. The Autobook suggest
that option inside one package with many subpackages.

<quote>The presence of a well primed cache file makes a big
improvement when configuring a complex tree which has `configure'
scripts in each subtree. </quote>

I think I will give it a try. Make my an overlay and test it with the
gcc, which has such a complex tree.

Al