On Tuesday 07 September 2010 11:56:12 Al wrote:
> It would be as simple as this:
>
> 1.) enter "news.gentoo.org" as news server to thunderbird
> 2.) select the groups you want to read
>
> 2 steps not more. That is far more simple than subscribing to a mailing
> list.
>
> Al

Except that then I need to do these 2 steps all the time and for every mailing
list that I use.

Usenet's strength was that all news-groups were accessible through all news-
servers.
By using different news-servers for different projects, this advantage is gone.

Using mailing lists and IMAP, I can access the list from anywhere with an
internet connection using webmail, IMAP-clients,...

This way, I only need to subscribe to mailing lists once and only need to
remember one set of account-details.
With different news-groups, this list becomes too much to remember and
maintain.

And I am not aware of any news-reader that can handle multiple different news-
servers easily without a news-proxy like leafnode sitting in between.

--
Joost