On 09/18/2010 05:45 PM, Florian Philipp wrote:
Hi list!

I have a bit of a problem. I'm on KDE-4.4.5 and it eats memory for
breakfast. Directly after booting, everything is okay but the usage
grows significantly. I wonder whether this is expected behavior.

The following statistics have been taken after 8 days of uptime during
which the system was on standby most of the time during work days and at
night.

free -m
              total  used  free  shared  buffers  cached
Mem:          3754  3588   165       0       57     258
-/+ buffers/cache:  3271   482
Swap:         6142   978  5163

That looks bad. I suspect it's the semantic desktop thingy that's at fault (I guess it's database and indexing service must eat tons of RAM), since I have it disabled and this is how it looks here after 5 days uptime:

Mem:      5973       3534       2438          0       1056       1685
-/+ buffers/cache:    793       5179
Swap:      917          0        917

(The important value is "-/+ buffers/cache:  793")

This is with KDE 4.5.1 and "semantic-desktop" USE flag disabled.