On 09/19/2010 11:25 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
Apparently, though unproven, at 16:45 on Saturday 18 September 2010, Florian
Philipp did opine thusly:

Hi list!

I have a bit of a problem. I'm on KDE-4.4.5 and it eats memory for
breakfast. Directly after booting, everything is okay but the usage
grows significantly. I wonder whether this is expected behavior.

The following statistics have been taken after 8 days of uptime during
which the system was on standby most of the time during work days and at
night.

free -m
              total  used  free  shared  buffers  cached
Mem:          3754  3588   165       0       57     258
-/+ buffers/cache:  3271   482
Swap:         6142   978  5163
[...]

Like I posted in another thread today, the memory columns in top do not mean
what most people think they mean, nor are they simplistic.

However, the values reported by "free -m" are somewhat useful and indicate that something is very wrong with memory consumption on his system.