>> > Try a later kernel which would have a more up to date driver.  Last time
>> > I had this problem it was corrected by unmasking and using a newer
>> > kernel.  It's something to do with the TTL that the driver uses and I'm
>> > not sure that this is a parameter that you can see listed under modinfo.
>> >  I believe it is hard coded.
>>
>> I'm on the latest hardened-sources kernel so I'll wait it out.  In the
>> meantime I've plugged in a USB wireless NIC and it's working fine.
>> Thank you for your help.
>
> I'm on 2.6.34-gentoo-r6 and the b43 driver works fine here, but only a few
> kernels back it was exhibiting the same symptoms like yours.
>
> Some users have mentioned that if you use WPA/WPA2 encryption the symptoms are
> surprisingly less frequent!
>
> So until a more up to date kernel shows up you may want to look into
> experimenting with wpa_supplicant.

I'm actually using the same kernel version, for me it's
2.6.34-hardened-r6.  I've tried softmode with the same results.  I'm
using wicd and WPA2, and I tried wpa_supplicant when I first started
having the problem with the same results.

Thanks for your help.  I'm sure it will be fixed up soon.  Probably
already fixed in newer kernel versions.

- Grant