On 25 Sep 2010, at 03:17, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>> I don't know but I can emerge -q icc
>>
>> There is other non-Free software you can install with Portage.
>>
>> Just yesterday I was looking at games-fps/ut2003 and games-fps/ut2004 - I
>> believe these require the game's installer CDs to work.
>>
>> I would imagine that if you were to emerge ICC it would require an
>> activation key before it would compile anything, otherwise we'd all be using
>> it.
>>

> Wouldn't that be kind of senseless since the source code is distributed?
> Knowing it would not be hard to bypass the activation key, if they wanted
> money for it they wouldn't let the source code out, license or no license.

Just because you can emerge a package doesn't mean the full source is
distributed. It could be a binary package, it could contain a small binary blob
for activation.

Paul Hartman provides more info in his post of 24 September 2010 23:16:30
GMT+01:00, but I was specifically replying to the assumption or implication "if
it can be emerged it must be free".

Stroller.