Apparently, though unproven, at 12:33 on Tuesday 05 October 2010, dhk did
opine thusly:

> On 10/05/2010 05:28 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Apparently, though unproven, at 10:25 on Tuesday 05 October 2010, dhk did
> >
> > opine thusly:
> >> What should I do about dev-util/autotoolset?  I use it every day for a
> >> project, but today it looks like I'm being told to remove it.  What is
> >> the alternative?
> >>
> >> In my package.keywords file I have "dev-util/autotoolset ~amd64"
> >> unmasked since I use autotools for a project.
> >>
> >> After the output of "emerge -uDNp world" this morning the following
> >> message is displayed.
> >>
> >> !!! The following installed packages are masked:
> >> - dev-util/autotoolset-0.11.4-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
> >> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
> >> # Diego E. Pettenò <flamee...@gentoo.org> (04 Oct 2010)
> >> #  on behalf of QA team
> >> #
> >> # Ironically, it is misusing autotools (bug #255831). It was
> >> # added in 2004 and never version bumped since; autotools
> >> # have since evolved a fair amount, while this is based
> >> # still on automake 1.6. Avoid keeping it around.
> >> #
> >> # Removal on 2010-12-03
> >>
> >> For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
> >> man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
> >>
> >> As stated above, what should I "Avoid keeping it around?"  Is it
> >> autotoolset, automake 1.6, ...?  Also, what's getting removed on
> >> 2010-12-03?  If autotoolset is removed, what should be used to build
> >> projects?
> >
> > The text applies to autotoolset and the reason it is being removed. It is
> > autotoolset that is not being kept around anymore.
> >
> > It's actually quite obvious once you calm down, get over your fright, and
> > read the message.
> >
> > You do not need autotoolset to build projects. You need autotools which
> > is not the same thing.
> >
> >> Even though I have autotoolset installed, search shows it as being
> >> masked.
> >>
> >> # emerge --search autotoolset
> >> Searching...
> >> [ Results for search key : autotoolset ]
> >> [ Applications found : 1 ]
> >>
> >> *  dev-util/autotoolset [ Masked ]
> >>
> >>       Latest version available: 0.11.4-r1
> >>       Latest version installed: 0.11.4-r1
> >>       Size of files: 1,133 kB
> >>       Homepage:      http://autotoolset.sourceforge.net/
> >>
> >> development with autotools
> >>
> >>       License:       GPL-2
> >>
> >> What to do now?
> >
> > Why are you worried? You use autotools not autotoolset. Let the thing be
> > removed, After 6 years of no updates you shouldn't be using it anyway.
>
> So are you saying if I remove autotoolset that I'll still have autoconf,
> automake, and the rest; and everything will work the same?  I thought
> all the autotools were in autotoolset.  I guess I don't know the
> difference between autotools and autotoolset and what they are made up of.

autotools != autotoolset

The description from eix that you yourself posted tells you as much.

Run "equery files autotoolset" and see what is in the package. Decide for
yourself if you want to keep it and if so move the ebuild to your local
overlay where you can maintain it for yourself.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com