On 2010-10-16 04:24, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> OK, so let's have a go at the ATI drivers again.
>
> First, get rid of the open source ati drivers
> emerge --unmerge -av radeon-ucode xf86-video-ati

Why? Unless you have problems with space I'd keep it because eventually
there will be support for your chipset (right now it's in "alpha" or
maybe "beta" phase).
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODUzMQ

You don't need to unmerge the open source ati drivers, it can peacefully
coexist with the proprietary drivers. Just don't use it until they've
gone stable.

> Editing the /etc/make.conf file to change the last line to
> VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx"

I have: VIDEO_CARDS="radeon fglrx vesa" with fglrx working fine.

> then running emerge -NDuav system changes the mesa driver so that I have
> no valid selections for "VIDEO_CARDS=", so I'll unmerge mesa
>
> emerge --unmerge -av mesa

xorg-server depends on mesa unless you run USE=minimal.

> running emerge -NDuav world identified the xorg-drivers and pm-utils
> packages that have changed, and attempts to re-emerge mesa, so I'll
> unmerge those two
>
> emerge --unmerge -av xorg-drivers pm-utils

Don't have pm-utils installed so can't tell anything about them but if
you're relying on powermanagement (laptop?) then maybe you should keep it?

> run aticonfig --initial to create an xorg.conf file.

Where did you place your xorg.conf file? It should be located in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. If I remember correctly, the aticonfig tool creates
an xorg.conf in your working directory and you have to move it to /etc/X11/.

> Hmm - the xorg.log file has this error.
> atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.

Do you have dri enabled? I.e. is there an dri module available?

HTH

Best regards

Peter K