On Monday 08 November 2010 22:08:53 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 22:11 on Monday 08 November 2010, J.
> Roeleveld
>
> did opine thusly:
> > > 2. Those SSDs are shite. Get a mechanical drive. 8G is also not enough
> > > and the write performance is pathetic.
> >
> > You must have a lesser then then I've got?
> > I have quite decent read/write performance with the 16GB SSD in mine
> > (Asus EEE901)
> > I think it's a shame there aren't more Netbooks with SSDs.
> > Too many manufacturers and users tend to see these as small laptop-
> > replacements. These are meant for webbrowsing, email,... NOT to use to do
> > your  doctorate...
>
> In all fairness to Acer, the SSDs in the A110 were early generation and
> improvements have been made. In the consumer grade, Intel is not too bad,
> Samsung is c...@p. And the early JMicron controllers were atrocious.
>
> Server grade disks are improving by leaps and bounds, but they are
> expensive and I don't see this filtering down to netbooks at this point in
> time yet. But I would be ecstatically happy to be proved wrong!

The one in mine gives me better performance then the ones that are usually
stuck inside consumer-grade laptops and the SD-card reader supports the faster
SD-cards as well, which helps.

> Your use-case for netbooks is spot-on too - a laptop-replacement it is not.
> My kids use mine for surfing and I use it when on standby and want to go
> out visiting. All I need is an xterm - 1024x600 makes a fine terminal.
> With wired, wireless and a 3G dongle I have all bases covered. Plus it
> fits in the wife's handbag :-) no need to carry a big backpack with a huge
> Dell inside.

I've seen women carry handbags that could hold a 17" laptop easily, btw :)
But I know what you mean.

I tend to use mine for:
- webbrowsing
- email
- odd document / taking notes
- viewing the pictures from the camera
- random entertainment (movies/games/...) while stuck inside during holidays