I don't know how to solve this, but I hope the following messages may help
you.

>>> Messages generated by process 14982 on 2010-10-18 23:54:00 CST for
package
sys-auth/polkit-0.96-r1:

WARN: postinst
If you don't use GDM or KDM for logging in,
you must start your desktop environment (DE) as follows:
        ck-launch-session $STARTGUI
Where $STARTGUI is a DE-starting command such as 'gnome-session'.
You should add this to your ~/.xinitrc if you use startx.

End.

--
Jian Li