Hi,

I have a laptop running Gentoo (with dual-boot to Windows XP). It was
manufactured in 2004 and battery life have been consistent for all
those years. However, it sat dormant for almost a year, after which I
did a few days worth of updating to bring it up to current kernel and
~amd64 package levels. There are two issues that have arisen:

1) The smart battery is not so smart anymore. It only charges about
halfway, then the charging light turns green and it stops. Effective
battery capacity is about one-third of what it used to be. From what I
understand, while Li-ion don't have "memory" like old Ni-Cd batteries,
the "smart" circuitry cannot account for power drain that happens when
the battery is not in use. Say the battery lost half of its power
while it was in storage, so the chip thinks charge is at one level
when it is really much lower. When recharging, it stops when it is
"full" even though it's only halfway there.

Has anyone successfully re-calibrated one of these batteries to
recognize a larger capacity?

My understanding is that, to do this, I should discharge at a constant
rate until it is empty, then charge to full. Repeat ?? times. I've
drained the poor little battery after regular usage (not a constant
rate of discharge) a few times and haven't noticed any change so far.
So I'm probably doing it wrong (or completely misunderstanding...)

This is complicated by my second problem:

2) If I click on the Power Management in the KDE system settings, it
says "Number of CPUs 0" "Number of batteries 0" and battery-related
options are greyed out. Since battery monitoring does not work, I have
no idea how much battery life is left and have no warning when it
suddenly shuts down, causing filesystem corruption and who knows what
other problems.

Everything in /proc/acpi/battery/ seems normal and /proc/cpuinfo does as well:

$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/info
present:                 yes
design capacity:         4400 mAh
last full capacity:      1984 mAh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          14800 mV
design capacity warning: 300 mAh
design capacity low:     100 mAh
cycle count:              0
capacity granularity 1:  32 mAh
capacity granularity 2:  32 mAh
model number:            01ZG
serial number:           1020
battery type:            LION
OEM info:                SMP

$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          charged
present rate:            0 mA
remaining capacity:      1984 mAh
present voltage:         16384 mV

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 28
model name      : Mobile AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 2000.000
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext
fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good
bogomips        : 4009.21
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

That all seems to look normal to me, so I'm not sure if I'm missing
some setting somewhere else.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul