Apparently, though unproven, at 01:03 on Thursday 18 November 2010, Adam
Carter did opine thusly:

> > > find /patch -name something -exec -ls -lS +
> > > which runs ls -lS once against all the files that find finds (added as
> > > additional arguments), and therefore Sort works.
> >
> > Almost right.
> >
> > -exec + will not append all filenames found and run one command,
> >
> > it will append the maximum number of filenames that do not exceed the
> > shell command line limit, and do that enough times to get through all
> > the filenames.
>
> Thanks for that Alan. I wasnt 100% sure I understood the man page, and that
> issue could definitely bite if you weren't aware!

It bit me many times :-)

If you know about it already, the man page of course makes perfect sense.
Such a pity it's not totally clear to those who don;t know about it already.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com