On Monday 13 December 2010 15:54:02 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> Rule of thumb: everything you need to boot built in, everything else
> modules. Results in the least problems.

Good thinking. My rule of thumb has been to compile-in everything that
has to be present on every run and everything else as modules. It
doesn't allow for the case you mention though. I think I prefer yours.

(I once wanted to remove a module from the kernel for some reason, but
it wouldn't unload. Being rash, I forced it, thereby completely wrecking
the kernel and forcing a power cycle. So that time I might just as well
have had whatever it was compiled in :-(   .)

--
Rgds
Peter.          Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.