writes:
> >--Sig_/Hxy_r1egAtvobeT/s7/L0.O
> >
> >On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:20:02 +0100, John wrote about [gentoo-user]
> >
> >xorg-server:
> >>I have just upgraded to xorg-server 1.9.2
> >>but unfortunately my keyboard is not recognising gb layout
> >
> >You have at least 2 courses of action:
> >
> >1) Add a udev rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
> >
> ># A rule to define our keyboard layout.
> >KERNEL=3D=3D"event*", ENV{ID_INPUT_KEYBOARD}=3D=3D"?*",
> >ENV{xkblayout}=3D"g= b",
> >ENV{xkbmodel}=3D"pc105"
> >
> >2) Add a configuration file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
> >
> ># Configuration for evdev-controlled input devices.
> >Section "InputClass"
> >
> >        Identifier      "keyboard"
> >        Driver          "evdev"
> >        Option          "XkbLayout" "gb"
> >        Option          "XkbModel" "pc105"
> >        Option          "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
>
> You got this working with xorg-server 1.9? This is the one piece that's
> not working for me.

Other than setting up udev rules I have tried everything that I could think
of.  Based on the experiments I ran on two laptops I have come to the
following conclusions (or should this be "confusions"?  ha, ha):

        Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"

is necessary under Section "ServerLayout" to allow legacy kbd and mouse
drivers to load.

Setting up a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf and then moving to 55-
evdev.conf so that the 50-synaptics.conf is read first does not work.
Somehow evdev permeates everything, creates multiple devices and hijacks the
touchpad, keyboard, etc.

Commenting out the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf lines for keyboard and
touchpad also does not do the trick, because there is still the
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf which seems to be parsed regardless
of a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf file being available.

So, I removed /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf, commented out the keyboard
and touchpad entries in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf and can now
use my touchpad with horizontal/vertical scroll functions, acceleration, etc.
based on settings I added in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50- as well as a
multi-language keyboard.

Personally, I can't see why all these additional config files and locations
are required, rather than a single /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  I have found all these
back and forth changes to fdi's, xorg.conf.d and what have you, unnecessary
and annoyingly time wasting.

Of course I might have missed something simple in all this kerfuffle, so
please chime in if there is a better way around this.
--
Regards,
Mick