On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 10:22 -0700, Bryan Green wrote:
> I put Gentoo on my mom's computer.  I got tired of her asking me questions
> about her computer concerning the Windows OS, so I installed an OS *I* could
> help her maintain, and not feel disgusted with.  Just wanted to share that...
>
> Has anyone else out there put Gentoo on their parents computers?
>
> -bryan

I just bought my parents a new computer and am going to put gentoo on it
and vmware with windows for the occasion where they really do need
windows.  I can fix their problems better with linux, and my mom and
sister like to browse all kinds of crappy websites and end up with
spyware all over the place with windows.

I would reccommend gentoo to a noob any time.  Once you get past the
installation and get gnome running, anyone can use it.  I also think
that it is easier to install new software with gentoo than with other
distros.  One of my friends who doesnt know sh!t about computers
installed fedora, and almost every day he needs help figuring out how to
install some program.  I wish I had told him to go with gentoo, because
then he could just emerge pretty much anything he needs.

The people who would be confused with more advanced
configuration/administration/whatever are the same people who probably
dont need to do any of that stuff.