Hi Helmut,

It sounds like there is a problem with the partition table on your USB
stick. It might be the consequence of a hardware failure (read or more
probably write) at some point.
If, as you mention, once you do an fdisk then "p", you can use once
again your USB stick, then maybe save everything you have on it, then
create a new partition table using fdisk on that disk and format the
whole thing.

Hope that helps,

Greg