On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since a few weeks I have a strange effect with my USB stick.
>
> According to fdisk there is one partition on it
> /dev/sde1              38     7839719     3919841    b  W95 FAT32
>
> which I haven't changed for a long time.
>
> Whenever I insert this stick, the kernel log shows
> /dev/sde  but not /dev/sde1  (and there is no file /dev/sde1)
>
> After Invoking fdisk /dev/sde with a simple 'p' command but nothing
> else, this device shows up.
>
> Has anybody an idea what's going on here?

I have a USB SD-card reader which cannot read the partition table when
first inserted into the PC. But, if I issue "hdparm -z /dev/sdg" then
the kernel re-reads the partition table and everything works fine
after that. You can try it, maybe it'll work for you, too.