Hi,

At the moment I'm trying to upgrade one of my old computers from SuSE to
Gentoo. I have install a second SCSI-disk and installed Gentoo on this second
disk using a stage-1 install. But when I try to boot my new install GRUB
hangs (kernel does not uncompress) after I have selected the kernel.

This is the output from grub after selecting my gentoo setup.

root (hd1,2)
        Filesystem type is ext2fs partition type 0x83
kernel /kernel-2.6.12-r6 root=/dev/sdb2 acpi=off
        [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1200, size=0x165a46]
(and here it hangs....)

I have installed grub to MBR of the first SCSI-disk (sda) and I'm having my
grub files on sdb3.

Here's my grub.conf file:

# By default, boot the first entry.
default 0

# By default boot the old SuSE (until Gentoo boots OK)
title SuSE
    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2   acpi=off splash=silent
showopts
    initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd

# For booting Gentoo 2.6.12-r6
title  Gentoo 2.6.12-r6
root (hd1,2)
kernel /kernel-2.6.12-r6 root=/dev/sdb2 acpi=off

The second SCSI-disk (Gentoo) has the following partitions:
/dev/sdb1       swap
/dev/sdb2       /
/dev/sdb3       /boot
/dev/sdb4       LVM

The Kernel is compiled without Module support and all necessary drivers are
compiled into the kernel.

Booting the old SuSE installation works without problems but Gentoo does not.
Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

Regards,
--
Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!