On 02/03/2011 02:11 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 02/03/2011 08:07 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
Is there a way to have a real text console? I know that I can
have 2 X sessions on tty10 and tty11 with different resolutions, and
colour depths. Is there a way to set tty1..tty9 to 640x480 *IN TEXT
MODE*, so that lat1-?? fonts would look normal, without killing the
ability to have X run at 1920x1200?

Note that the suggestion the others gave about disabling KMS is  probably
not what you need. Disabling KMS means that it will also be disabled for
X11, not only for the framebuffer. As you can imagine this is a bad thing.

I'm aware of KMS because of my experiments with the 'nouveau' driver, but
I still have no idea what KMS really does.

In other words, I *cannot* imagine why disabling KMS is a bad thing, but I
would very much like to know :)