Cedric Sodhi wrote:
You know... I appreciate all your helpful "if you want to move portage
to /var you can do it by..." 'suggestions', but, can you imagine the
following situation:

You push a change to a repository, on your way to work you realize that
there was an error in the commit so as soon as you get to work you send
out an email to everyone "Please do not pull until today evening when I
have reverted that". And when you're back home and check the status you
see that about everyone who could possibly have read you mail pulled
from the repo.

A parabel for the technically affine...

If you mean someone syncs against your system, I don't see how it would matter as to whether portages tree is in /usr or anywhere else. When you move the tree, change the config to point to the new location.

My point was, if you don't like it where it is, you can move it and it is easily done. Having the devs change where it is, that is not so easy because that would force a lot, I mean a lot, of people to change their setup. I would be one of those people. I have portage on a separate partition. If it get moved to another directory, I got to change the partition mount point.

It may seem like a simple change but it is not so simple when you realize what all it could break.

Dale

:-)  :-)