Cedric Sodhi writes:

> Replying to the three before messages which basically made the point
> that one can change the location manyually.
[...]
> It does not conform with any accepted standard, it is wrong per se, it
> should be changed.
>
> THIS is the point, please, as I already said in my first email, don't
> make any more suggestions how one can change this for oneself. It's
> irrelevant to the issue.

Hmm, I didn't make myself clear. I did not suggest you should change
your PORTDIR, of course you already had done this. And yes, you are
right, the location is wrong, it should be changed. But somehow the devs
are not really interested in doing this, so I doubt it's worth the battle.
So I change the PORTDIR, and now at least my own Gentoo does things
right, and is of course cooler than those Gentoos having the totally
wrong /usr/portage location.

/usr/src is also totally wrong, and I cannot even change this location.
But that does not worry me too much either. I assume there are people
also trying to change this, but it won't happen. That's bad, but that's
just how it is.

        Wonko