On 02/19/2011 08:32 PM, Dale wrote:
Mark Knecht wrote:
On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Valmor de
Almeida<val.gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
I have just updated xorg to 1.9.4 with USE -hal and removed hal in
this order (also needed to remove hal from the default run level). I
tried startx using the existing xorg.conf and X does not start
correctly, I have no mouse and a frozen screen (no keyboard) with the
arrow cursor placed in the middle of the screen. I also tried to start
X without an xorg.conf; same problem.

I'm guessing that you might need to use the older keyboard and mouse
drivers instead of evdev. Just a guess though.

As some already know, I removed hal a long time ago so basically you
want a set up similar to mine now. This is in my make.conf:

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"

Don't forget to enable udev as Mike suggested too. I put mine in the USE
line. After all, about all hardware now uses udev to see hardware.

You only need "evdev". "keyboard" and "mouse" are deprecated drivers. They have bugs that no one appears to be fixing anymore.