On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:05 AM, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes <at> waltdnes.org> writes:
>

>>   WINE, which runs some Windows apps, will not build on a 64-bit system
>> without multilib support.  I found that out "the hard way" after
>> installing pure 64-bit on my machine.  Rather than wipe+reinstall, I
>> ended up installing a 32-bit Gentoo guest under qemu-kvm, and installed
>> WINE on that.
>

> Walter,
> You have confused me. First you indicate that multilib is
> needed for WINE. Then you indicate that you had to use the
> 32 bit mixed mode (no multilib).... under  qemu-kvm, and
> and then install WINE under the 32 bit qemu.
>
> So if you were installing a system, just to run wine, would it
> be multilib or hybrid (64 and 32 bit) ?
>

> James

James,

1) Wine is 32-bit
2) Walter had a 64-bit only system
3) Walter had 2 choices:

a) Wipe the system and start over making it a multi-lib system
b) Create a 32-bit chroot

He chose b).

It's not possible to 'install a system to ONLY run Wine', but if you
want to run Windows apps you have 3 choices:

1) Install 32-bit Gentoo on your 64-bit hardware. Not very interesting to me.
2) Install 64-bit Gentoo with multi-lib support. This is what I do,
although I don't run Wine anymore as I use Vbox & VMware.
3) Install 64-bit Gentoo without multi-lib support and run which in a
32-bit chroot. Double the Gentoo maintenance because you are now
required to keep both the 32-bit & 64-bit installs up-to-date.

Hope this help.