On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:59 AM, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> it would seem that the 32ul-11.0.iso
> version would be the one to run 32
> bit software on?
<SNIP>

I cannot speak for the LiveDVD as I've not tried it but remember there
are still lots of older machines running 32-processors in them that
need a 32-bit only DVD to install at all. I suspect the purpose of the
32-bit DVD is to support those boxes.

As evidence of the growth of 64-bit machines in at least the vocal
part of the Gentoo users (those using the user's lists) I started
running 64-bit Gentoo about 5-6 years and at this time no longer even
own any (working) 32-bit machines. Up until about 3 years ago the
Gentoo amd64 list had all the 64-bit specific question traffic. As of
today that list is almost totally quiet implying that nearly all
64-bit users are just using this list and most folks see no
distinction anymore. If that's true then it's easy to forget that
there may be lots of quiet 32-bit users still out there.

- Mark