Mick wrote:

Some digging around helped a bit - I switched in SystemSettings/Desktop
Effects, the Compositing Type from OpenGL to XRender and now it does not
suspend (although 'wobbly windows' and 'Desktop Cube Animation' are disabled.

In E17 which I use daily the compositing works fine, until I select OpenGL as
the rendering engine and then it crashes horribly (won't even boot).

I have set up mesa to use gallium (if that makes any odds).  Is there anything
else I need to configure to improve OpenGL performance (at least to stop it
crashing)?

I have a Nvidia GT-220 card and I have mine set to OpenGL in Desktop Effects. I did run into this once before tho, I went to a console, reloaded the nvidia modules, restarted X and it worked. I'm not sure but I think I had upgraded the nvidia drivers or something and the above worked here

Is your card reasonably fast? If it is at least the speed of mine, it should work since it works here. Not sure how much is required tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)