Mick wrote:
On Tuesday 22 March 2011 16:45:54 Dale wrote:
I have a very similar setup and it works fine here, AMD Phenom II X4 955
Deneb 3.2GHz with a Nvidia GT-220 video card.  I also have the
SB700/SB800 chipset as well, Gigabyte mobo.  The biggest difference I
see is the video card as far as hardware is concerned.

Software, I'm on xorg-server-1.9 here.  I never tried the older series
on this rig.  I also still have a xorg.conf file too.  May not matter
but just upgraded to a 2.6.38 kernel.  Also, no hal here either which is
why I went with that xorg version during my install.

I hope this little bit of info helps in some small way.  If you need
more info about my setup, let me know.
So this seems like the xorg-1.9 driver won't play nicely with ATI video cards.
FYI mesa classic seems to be better than gallium, although both crash.  As
already reported xrender works, but eats up resources.

Will have to wait for later versions it seems.

Thanks for your replies.

That is what I was thinking but I have VERY little experience with ATI cards. I have one but only used it to install the basics of this new rig. No GUI, just a console.

I did notice there is a xorg 1.9.5 in the tree. I'm not sure when it was added but if you are not already using it, it may be worth a try. It could fix the issue you are having. It seems you have a newer card and as usual, they can lag a little bit when it comes to fixes. That is true for ATI and Nvidia I guess.

Glad the info help eliminate hardware problems at least.

Dale

:-)  :-)