On Wednesday 04 May 2011 13:48:48 Adam Carter wrote:
> > Well, 2.2.17 is indeed my server, but I decided to stop it and start it
> > again.  Current log files showed up.
> > Problem solved, by brute force again, and without any epiphanies of
> > understanding.
>
> Last guess - logrotate is managing the log files but not reloading apache
> afterwards. Check that the entries in /etc/logrotate.d/apache2 have a line
> in there that runs /etc/init.d/apache2 reload.

Adam,

I think you got a really good guess. :)
Especially as the log-files listed by lsof have status "deleted":
**
apache2    5288       root    9w      REG       8,44  57327591     204998
/var/log/apache2/access_log-20110204 (deleted)
**

Interesting things happen when a file is deleted while a process still has
access.

--
Joost