Apparently, though unproven, at 08:15 on Wednesday 04 May 2011, Joost
Roeleveld did opine thusly:

> On Wednesday 04 May 2011 13:48:48 Adam Carter wrote:
> > > Well, 2.2.17 is indeed my server, but I decided to stop it and start it
> > > again.  Current log files showed up.
> > > Problem solved, by brute force again, and without any epiphanies of
> > > understanding.
> >
> > Last guess - logrotate is managing the log files but not reloading apache
> > afterwards. Check that the entries in /etc/logrotate.d/apache2 have a
> > line in there that runs /etc/init.d/apache2 reload.
>
> Adam,
>
> I think you got a really good guess. :)
> Especially as the log-files listed by lsof have status "deleted":
> **
> apache2    5288       root    9w      REG       8,44  57327591     204998
> /var/log/apache2/access_log-20110204 (deleted)
> **
>
> Interesting things happen when a file is deleted while a process still has
> access.

You mean like as in it's name goes away and absolutely nothing else changes
whatsoever?

The only trouble you can run into is that new process that did not have the
file open now cannot find it.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com