Apparently, though unproven, at 23:37 on Sunday 29 May 2011, Alan Mackenzie
did opine thusly:

> Hi, Neil.
>
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 10:13:08PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 May 2011 22:58:39 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > With a CD in the drive and gnome running, please post the output of
> > >
> > > mount
> > > cat /etc/mtab
> >
> > And the output of eject -v
>
> acm@acm ~ $ eject -v
> eject: using default device `cdrom'
> eject: device name is `cdrom'
> eject: expanded name is `/dev/cdrom'
> eject: `/dev/cdrom' is a link to `/dev/sr0'
> eject: `/dev/sr0' is not mounted
> eject: `/dev/sr0' is not a mount point
> eject: `/dev/sr0' is not a multipartition device
> eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr0' using CD-ROM eject command
> eject: CD-ROM eject command failed
> eject: trying to eject `/dev/sr0' using SCSI commands
> eject: SCSI eject succeeded
>
> (This was run as a normal user, not root.)
>
> Hey, eject -v works!  :-)  It's still not quite ideal, though.

My money says you've been hit by the Gnome Borg - where you are only permitted
to do things the way the gnome devs have deemed to be appropriate and
TheOneTrueWay(tm). After all, you are just a user, what do you know? The devs
know better, you must trust them!

I can't be of much more help to you, I don't use Gnome at all (see above)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com