On Mon, 30 May 2011 23:08:08 +0100, David W Noon wrote:

> You have just touched on an annoyance of unmerge, in that it does not
> clean up configuration files that have been modified.  It removes files
> that are still in the same state as when the package was emerged, but
> not those modified by the user.  I don't see how user changes make the
> file more important than would be in its vanilla state.

It doesn't remove *any* files that have been modified, the reasons
systems used to get cluttered with orphaned .la files. The logic is quite
simple, if it is not the file portage installed with the package, it
should not be uninstalled with the package. There are times when some
sort of --force-remove option to remove both these and files in
CONFIG_PROTECTed directories would be useful.

--
Neil Bothwick

Format: (v.) to erase irrevocably and unintentionally.
        (n.) The process of such erasure.