David W Noon wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2011 22:40:01 +0200, Mick wrote about Re: [gentoo-user]
Cleaning redundant configuration files:

On Tuesday 31 May 2011 17:26:43 David W Noon wrote:
[snip]
To repeat myself: I do not see a customized configuration file as
being any more important than a vanilla one.  If I understand a
configuration file well enough to customize it once, I remain
capable of customizing it again after a reinstall.
I would *not* want to have to reconfigure sendmail, apache, mrtg, or
umpteen other files from scratch if you don't mind.
In that case, do not unmerge them.  Just upgrade as needed.

Remember that I am writing purely about *unmerged* packages.  In the
case of a rebuild or upgrade, customizations would be preserved just
as they are now.

I have in the past unmerged a package, checked to make sure it is all gone and then emerged it again. I think this type of situation is what people are talking about. Since I have done this myself, I wouldn't want the config files to be deleted and others seem to be talking about the same thing. That's my take on it at least.

It should be a option but not something that is done by default.

Dale

:-)  :-)