Apparently, though unproven, at 16:57 on Wednesday 01 June 2011, David W Noon
did opine thusly:

> We agree on the usefulness of a purge-like option but not on the
>
> >desirability or otherwise of the current default behaviour
>
> I called it an "annoyance".  Having to clean up obsolete configuration
> files is just that, unless you can offer a better term.

Sounds like you want a --really-all suboption to -C

You could submit a feature request at b.g.o. but I feel the odds of getting it
implemented (or even a working patch accepted at all) are rather low.

Your suggestion runs counter to the general philosophy that runs through
Gentoo.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com