Apparently, though unproven, at 12:34 on Monday 06 June 2011, Indi did opine
thusly:

> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 10:27:48AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Believe it or not you are supposed to "make invisible" all the junk the
> > app created.
>
> Well, once you get some of the amazingly bone-headed defaults corrected
> tbird is pretty nice -- for people with eagle eyes who don't need an
> integrated addressbook function, which describes no-one I know....
>
> After much googling the conclusion is many many people are desperately
> unhappy about the fonts in tbrd and incredibly, it ain't fixable!
> Hard-coded font sizes -- isn't that, like, retardn00b mistake #4?
>
> :)

No, no, no! Surely you jest?

tbird is a Moz product. Rendering stuff on screen is almost everything that
they do ... everything else supporting just that one thing

> Another giant, glaring flaw: Doesn't appear to be any addressbook
> integration whatsoever that I can find, so it's necessary to pretend
> it's the 80s and remember the ancient practice of clunkily, manually
> C & P from the *separate* addressbook. Jeeeezus, and people think mutt
> is barebones, LOL (address autocompletion Just Works in mutt).
>
> I've already got a whopper of an eyestrain headache just from
> testing it.
>
> Tbird dismissed, not a realistic option.
> My users will bitch a blue streak over the lack of address autocomplete,
> god forbid they should have to type anything longer than "OMGLOL"...

I kinda liked claws last time I tried it (earlier this year). Much like KMail
of old it just does mail and does it well.

I found I couldn't use it though - I rely on the KDE addressbook a lot (it's
hooked into the GAL) and claws tended to get *really* upset everytime Exchange
pulled it's usual stunt of popping out for 20 minutes coffee breaks 4 times a
day.

That's not claws' fault - I squarely blame Exchange for

a) Advertising it does IMAP but doesn't really pay attention to standards
b) Saying the service is up when it isn't really

KMail OTOH, just sits in the corner and quietly sulks when Exchange goes away;
then tries again in 15 minutes. Which suits me just fine. The requirement for
kdelibs doesn't bother me - this is a KDE machine

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com