--- Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > My internal CD-R drive has been experiencing
> > steadily
> > worsening power fluctuations over the past year or
> > so.
> >  I haven't been able to write CDs in Windows in
> > months, but until recently could still write them
> in
> > Gentoo.  I ordered a Pacific Digital USB
> > DVD-RW/CD-RW
> > drive on August 1 and it came in today.  I'm not
> > quite
> > sure how to go about using it though.  I mainly
> use
> > xcdroast for writing CDs (I make daily backups and
> > write them to CD once a week.)  I use GNOME, and
> > although my new drive shows up in the
> "computer:///"
> > nautilus listing, it is not available to be
> selected
> > in xcdroast - it's not listed at all.  I don't
> even
> > know where to start looking for the solution to
> this
> > problem.  Can anyone help me?
> >

> [Hmm...in a shell, as the root user, you'll need to
> [determine what cdrecord likes.
> [You may need to try -
> [
> [     cdrecord -scanbus
> [     cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATA
> [     cdrecord -scanbud dev=sg
>
> [Generally, USB attached drives show up as SCSI
> [devices, thus an - "ls /dev" will return
> [a list with an sdx, where x is a,b,c, etc.
>
> [Bob]

I had to copy and paste the above reply from the
archives because I never actually received the post
in my email and had to re-subscribe to the list this
morning.

The device is listed as /dev/sr0, but that's about
as much as I can determine about it.  I want to use it
with xcdroast, but xcdroast lists my two internal
CD-R drives (neither of which can write to CDs because
of the power fluctuations and a few other problems.)
My usb drive isn't even listed...

For what it's worth the only command listed above that
shows my external drive is this:

baby ~ # cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2004 J\uffffrg Schilling
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r6
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5
and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try
Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.33
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus2:
        2,0,0   200) 'TOSHIBA ' 'CD/DVDW SD-R5372'
'TU53' Removable CD-ROM
        2,1,0   201) *
        2,2,0   202) *
        2,3,0   203) *