On Monday 27 June 2011 17:57:00 Peter Humphrey did opine thusly:
> Hello list,
>
> Some time ago I saw a comment in a kernel config help page saying to
> enable this option if unexplained, random lockups occurred. I
> didn't need to do that for Gentoo, but every other distro I've
> tried locks up after a random interval - even the latest Fedora 15.
> I suspect I have a chipset problem, but Gentoo runs happily with it
> so there must be a config option of some kind.
>
> Can anyone point me to the parameter concerned? I can't find it with
> grep.

Could be several things, the latest one to hit /. is

pcie_aspm=force

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/06/27/0459252/Nailing-the-Cause-of-
Recent-Linux-Power-
Issues?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashdot%29

Or, you could grep the Makefile[1] for "lockups".

[1] Not sure if it's really in the Makefile or somewhere else

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com